HAVE YOUR SAY HERE!

Long Eaton Town Deal Website

Long Eaton residents are being urged to step up and take part in a landmark four-week public consultation that will help shape the next chapter in the town’s rich history. 
 
The survey, launched this week, is seen as one of the most important in the regeneration and development of Long Eaton as the town prepares its bid for up to £25m of funding as part of the government’s Town Deal initiative.
 
The bid is being led by the Long Eaton Town Deal Board, which confirmed this week that the views of local residents are ‘absolutely vital’ if the town is to seize one of the biggest opportunities in a lifetime.
 
Over the next four weeks, residents have the chance to give their views on specific proposals which have been developed following comments received in a first consultation earlier this year. Suggested projects include possible changes to the design of the High Street, improvements to the town centre junctions (The Green and the Asda/Tesco roundabout), a new canal bridge from West Park directly onto the towpath and a range of new cultural ideas.
 
Richard Ledger, Chair of the Long Eaton Town Deal Board, said it is now up to local residents of all ages to take part and get behind a bid that will be innovative and help shape the town’s future for generations to come:
 
“To be chosen as one of the towns in line for funding is an incredible achievement and I’d like to thank all those who gave their views in the first public consultation back in the summer. We listened to your views, your ideas and now we have this second, much more detailed consultation, which is just as important – if not more so. Once again we urge you to take the time to tell us your thoughts and be a part of this unique opportunity.”
 
His comments were backed by Councillor Carol Hart, Leader of Erewash Borough Council and Vice-Chair of the Long Eaton Town Deal Board:
 
“This is a fantastic opportunity for the residents of Long Eaton and it is important that everyone who is able does have their say in the consultation. Your opinions about the future of our thriving town are crucial in deciding what projects will go ahead and help transform Long Eaton for years to come. It’s only by working together that we can achieve the best, so please take part.”
 
Erewash MP Maggie Throup, who is also a Board member, added:
 
“I absolutely share the rallying call to Long Eaton residents – this is your chance to help the Board win the best financial deal possible from this excellent government scheme. This is such an important opportunity for the town and I am proud to serve on the Board and will do everything I can to achieve success.”
 
The views of local people are a vital element in putting together the Town Investment Plan bid which has to be submitted in January 2021.
 
The Town Board will be able to put forward project proposals totalling up to £25 million as part of its Investment Plan. The exact amount offered, however, will depend on the total of all the projects that are assessed by the government as viable.
 
To take part in the consultation visit www.erewash.gov.uk/haveyoursay or request a printed copy to be mailed out to you by calling 0115 907 2244.
 

Doing what is right for Erewash

Erewash residents have been urged to continue to play their part in the fight against the coronavirus as the borough faces its first full week in the government’s Tier 2 high alert category.
 
The borough’s move to the high Covid alert level was announced by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Matt Hancock, and came into force on Saturday at 12.01am after a surge in Coronavirus cases. 
 
Erewash Borough Council has appealed to residents to take the ‘high alert’ level seriously and follow the tighter ‘lockdown’ rules to help stop the spread of the virus.
 
Councillor Carol Hart, Leader of the Council, has told residents that while the news is disappointing, moving to the higher level was ‘absolutely the right thing to do’.
 
“We all need to see this as a wake-up call and must pull together to reverse the numbers and work together to keep each other safe,” she says.
 
“I understand some people don’t agree with the restrictions, but my appeal is that right now it is crucial that we are one united community that takes our responsibilities seriously. We must think of others, particularly the vulnerable.
 
“It’s going to be a challenging winter, but we do not want to see Erewash move to the highest Tier 3 alert. We can all do our best to stop that by following the guidelines.”
 
The government’s extra restriction on Erewash are due to be reviewed after four weeks. Full details on the restrictions and three-tier levels can found at the government’s website www.gov.uk 
 

Funding help available

Erewash Borough Council is once again offering help towards worthy causes across the borough through its Community Grants Scheme.
 
Voluntary groups and organisations are being encouraged to apply now for up to £2,000 and the council is particularly keen to support projects and initiatives that are helping the local community.
 
The grants scheme has helped hundreds of local groups and sporting organisations over the years and the release of the latest funds is to support all the vital charity and voluntary work that is going on right now in the area.
 
Erewash Borough Council’s Lead Member for Community Engagement, Councillor Val Clare, says:
 
“Grants are awarded for many projects that help Erewash and in the past funds have been released to community groups, pre-school groups, churches, village halls and organisations that offer support in countless ways to both the young and old. This year in particular has seen the need for help increase as communities rally together to provide care and assistance for those who may be struggling due the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.” 
 
The council wants to hear from as many organisations as possible ahead of the closing deadline of 5.30pm Wednesday 16 December 2020.
 
Full details of the scheme, and the EBC Community Grants Funding Policy, can be found at erewash.gov.uk/community-grants
Anyone wanting advice on how to apply can email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 
EBC’s Community Grants Scheme is unable to provide funding to any community group that has received a grant award within the last 12 months.
 

Tough measures on anti-social drinking

Proposals by Erewash Borough Council to tackle anti-social drinking in the borough are expected to be supported by Council Executive (8 September) with a recommendation to Full Council for approval.
 
The introduction of a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) is part of a partnership effort to curb anti-social behaviour caused by alcohol consumption, which remains a persistent problem within the borough’s town centres.  The PSPO will provide ‘authorised officers’ the power to request individuals stop consuming and surrender their alcohol, if they are also causing anti-social behaviour.  If the individuals fail to comply with an officer’s request, they can be issued with a fine. 
 
The new three-year PSPO, subject to Council approval, will come into force in October 2020.  It will replace the existing Designated Public Place Order which was approved in 2008 and covered the whole of Erewash. The new orders are designed to cover specific, troublesome areas within the borough.
 
Proposed ‘restricted areas’ to be covered by the new PSPO will include:
Ilkeston town centre and surrounding green spaces including Rutland Recreational Ground and Victoria Park
Long Eaton town centre and surrounding green spaces including West Park, Dockholme Lock and Petersham Green.
 
As part of the consultation process, an online survey was conducted by the council earlier this year, with feedback showing overwhelming support in favour of the suggested PSPO restrictions, with some 93% of respondents stating that drinking alcohol in public leads to or may lead to anti-social behaviour. 84% of respondents said that they were likely to avoid the area and 79% being of the opinion that it is likely to cause an increase in violence.
 
 
Erewash Borough Council’s Lead Member for Community Engagement, Councillor Val Clare, says:
 
 
“The introduction of the new public space protection order will support our community safety partners in dealing with the problem of irresponsible drinking in our towns and open spaces. The public survey, which was completed earlier this year, received over 500 replies from residents and partner organisations in the first two weeks alone which goes to show how strongly public opinion runs with this particular issue.”
 

A fair decision

The cancellation of landmark events in Erewash which attract thousands of people – including the historic Ilkeston Charter Fair – is expected to be confirmed at an Extraordinary meeting of Erewash Borough Council next week.
 
A report to the 27 August meeting confirms that the major events should be cancelled in the interests of public safety and in line with safety advice on mass gatherings and the ‘red risk’ they pose for the spread of coronavirus.
 
One of the biggest decisions will be confirmation that the 768th Ilkeston Charter Fair will not go ahead in October, thought to be the first time the street fair - which attracts more than 40,000 people – will not have taken place since wartime.
 
November’s Erewash Bonfire and Fireworks Display at West Park in Long Eaton, another major crowd-puller in the council’s events calendar, is also expected to be rubber-stamped for cancellation.
 
Oher casualties of covid-19 are likely to be Long Eaton’s Chestnut Fair, the Christmas Lights switch-on events in both Ilkeston and Long Eaton town centres and the traditional Christmas Eve Carol Service in Ilkeston Market Place.
 
Councillor Mike Wallis, Erewash Borough Council’s Lead Member for Culture and Leisure, says:
 
“These are extremely difficult decisions but the safety of all has to be our number one priority. I can assure residents that the cancellation of events is not taken lightly but the recommendation and advice is absolutely clear and agreed by everyone involved – that the safety of the public would be at risk.
 
“So while it is disappointing, I am sure that everyone will understand the reasons. It has been an unprecedented year, but we look to 2021 with optimism and hope that we will be able to welcome back this borough’s historic Charter Fair and our many other events.”
 
The Remembrance Sunday wreath-laying events in Ilkeston and Long Eaton are expected to go ahead on 8 November but with restrictions on attendance and no parades or church services beforehand.
 
The council worked with Derbyshire County Council’s public health team and also consulted with the Showmen’s Guild Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Mid and South Lincolnshire Section during the summer. Its chairman confirmed that, while disappointed, they had no objection to the cancellation and sent their best wishes to the council with the message that they look forward to returning for next year’s Ilkeston Charter Fair.